From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo package source CD available?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:46:54
1 On 5 Dec 2008, at 05:56, hiren joshi wrote:
2 > ...
3 > - no internet connection and
4 > - still want to compile the source for my specific
5 > architecture/processor to make my system speedy
6 >
7 > Are there CD/DVDs available that contains sources (burn to CD/DVD at a
8 > point of time) of all the gentoo packages?
9 > If yes, pls point me to a link about how can I install gentoo using
10 > these CD/DVDs.
11 >
12 > If not, any other method to achieve this?
13
14 Best thing to do is burn the stage CD and also a copy of the Portage
15 Daily Snapshot [1].
16
17 Boot from it the stage 1 on your Internetless machine, and instead of
18 syncing unpack the snapshot into /usr/portage. When you get to the
19 `emerge world` part (or any `emerge` part) of the installation
20 instructions, substitute with `emerge -pvf > textfile.txt`. Then take
21 textfile.txt to a connected machine & use wget to fetch all the
22 packages listed in it. Copy those onto a CD & then into /usr/portage/
23 distfiles/
24
25 This is a bit time-consuming, especially as you probably won't
26 initially be aware of all the packages you need, but it's well-
27 documented and it's pretty much the only way to install packages under
28 Gentoo.
29
30 Compiling from source probably won't make any significant difference
31 to the speed of your machine, especially stage 1 vs stage 3 - stage 1
32 will probably just make the installation more complex and result in
33 more sneakernet trips between the connected & disconnected machines.
34
35 Stroller.
38 [1] http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.bz2