From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Opinions on DVR/PVR backend?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:32:38
1 I think it's about time to replace my SageTV DVR/PVR system, so I'm
2 looking for opinions and recommendations for a DVR backend to run on a
3 Gentoo desktop machine.
4
5 Some Background...
6
7 For many years, I ran a dedicated, combined frontend/backend MythTV
8 system (usually a Debian install). Then I switched to a mac-mini
9 frontend booting a dedicated MythTV frontend distro from a USB flash
10 drive with the MythTV backend running on my general-purposed Gentoo
11 box. I was never completely happy with the mac mini frontend, but it
12 was small and quiet and mostly worked.
13
14 After that (about 8 years ago) I switched to using the SageTV backend
15 on that same Gentoo box with SageTV brand custom frontend set-top
16 boxes.
17
18 About a year later, SageTV got bought by Google and mostly shut down.
19 Software continued to be updated for a few years, and EPG data was
20 kept flowing. The software has since been open-sourced, but the
21 backend development has slowed and development/support for the set-top
22 boxes ended (there are some nagging set-top box problems that are
23 never going to get fixed). The "lifetime" free EPG data spigot for
24 SageTV got turned off last year.
25
26 SageTV is a large Java app with a bunch of custom libraries. For now,
27 the tarball of JAR files and binaries works, but it's not a long-term
28 solution. I tried building the SageTV backend under Gentoo and was
29 unsuccessful in an effort to produce an ebuild for it. The build
30 system is a completely broken mess of shell-scripts and makes all
31 sorts of assumptions about development host library versions (it
32 requires a lot of ancient library versions).
33
34 And now...
35
36 I'm looking for opinions on a DVR backend to run on a desktop Gentoo
37 box. Input is OTA ATSC via an Ethernet-connected tuner (SiliconDust
38 HDHomeRun). The ideal set-top frontend would be Roku. I'd also really
39 like a good Android frontend. My next choice for a set-top frontend
40 would probably be Kodi on Raspberry Pi 3B or Vero 4K HW. I'm going to
41 pick up a RPi3 this weekend and start playing with Kodi (OSMC or
42 LibreELEC).
43
44 The main backend options seem to be MythTV, Plex, and TVHeadend.
45
46 MythTV
47
48 Pros: Good feature set
49 Open-source
50
51 Cons: It's a giant bloated mess that pulls in all sorts of Qt stuff
52 Fragile frontend API/protocol that gets broken regularly
53 Poor music player (the last time I tried it)
54 Poor frontend support for Android.
55
56 Plex
57
58 Pros: Roku frontend
59 Good integration of existing media files
60 Good support for Android
61
62 Cons: DVR support is new
63 Closed source
64 Commercial service
65
66 TVHeadend
67
68 Pros: Lightweight
69 Minimal dependencies
70 Open-source
71 Android frontend (I think)
72
73 Cons: Weak recording management
74 Poor integration of existing media
75
76 There are minimal subscription costs for all three ($40/year for Plex,
77 $25/year for the others), so that's a push.
80 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Youth of today!
81 at Join me in a mass rally
82 gmail.com for traditional mental
83 attitudes!