From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} 802.11n PCI-E 300Mbps with AP mode?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 02:12:41
1 >> I'll need an 802.11n PCI-E card that does 300Mbps and works in AP mode
2 >> for the router.  Does anyone know of such a card?  I've read that
3 >> these 300 Mbps cards use Realtek chips and don't work in AP mode
4 >> although that info could be outdated:
5 >
6 > Check out the table here:
7 > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
8 >
9 > It will let you see which drivers have AP support as well as 802.11n
10 > support. There are a couple others with some AP support, but basically
11 > an ath9k-supported chipset is your only choice at the moment for a
12 > mature AP mode, as far as I know.
13 >
14 >> This one is said to be an Atheros chip so it should have better
15 >> support but it only goes to 150Mbps:
16 >
17 > Without the 5 GHz band I doubt you'd ever see above 150Mbps anyway.
18 > It's more of a theoretical max for 2.4 GHz but I wouldn't expect to
19 > see it actually happen, unless you live in a land without wireless
20 > interference. :) My AP and all clients claim to support 300Mbps but
21 > I've never seen it with my own eyes.
22 >
23 > I don't notice much of a speed difference at all between the 802.11g
24 > turbo modes (108 Mbps+) and 802.11n in my house. Both are noticeably
25 > faster than plain old 54Mbit 802.11g, though.
26
27 Thanks Paul. I'm working on it and I'll post here if I find one.
28
29 Should I need only one wireless card in my router to connect to both
30 the clients and a wireless bridge which is connected to the WAN?
31
32 - Grant