From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 09:44:18
1 lego12239@××××××.ru wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 04:02:13AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> lego12239@××××××.ru wrote:
4 >>> Just interesting, why you need to sync every day?
5 >>> And why you need emerge -e, if you can use emerge -auND?
6 >> Might be because Michael is a Gentoo developer.  They have to sync a lot
7 >> as they make changes to the tree.
8 > There is nothing to be done. He himself decided like that.
9 > No one forced :-D.
10
11 You ever think that developers may have to do things us users don't?
12 All we do is use portage/emerge to update our systems.  They have to
13 write or update ebuilds, test them, push them to the tree and then test
14 them some more.  They also have to try to make sure the code it creates
15 works.  All of that takes a lot of time and effort.  Things we don't see.
16
17 >> The two commands do different things.  Using emerge -e calculates
18 >> rebuilding every package while emerge -auDN only looks for certain
19 >> updates.  Each can be useful even if not allowed to complete.
20 > I know about it. I didn't understand why in usual case we need to
21 > do everytime emerge -e, instead of emerge -uND. But if we talk about os
22 > developer - it's clear(but why *everytime* emerge -e?).
25 If you do a emerge -ea world, you will see changes that emerge -uaDN
26 world won't because it considers every package on the system.  When you
27 do emerge -uaDN world, it only looks for changes/updates to the world
28 file and what they depend on but only to a point.  There is a huge
29 difference.
30
31 Run them both and observe the difference.  For a dev, that difference
32 can reveal something important.
33
34 Dale
35