From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Securely deletion of an HDD
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 19:14:15
1 On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > actually 1 time is enough. With zeros. Or ones. Does not matter at all.
7 That depends on your threat model.
8
9 If you're concerned about somebody reading the contents of the drive
10 using the standard ATA commands, then once with zeros is just fine.
11 Secure erase is probably easier/faster.
12
13 If you're concerned about somebody removing the disks from the drive
14 and reading them with specialized equipment then you really want
15 multiple rounds of complete overwrites with random data. Even then
16 you run the risk of relocation blocks and all that stuff, so the
17 secure erase at the end is still a wise move but it may or may not
18 completely do the job.
19
20 If you're concerned about somebody leaving the disks in the drive but
21 having access to directly manipulate the drive heads to possibly
22 access data not accessible using the standard ATA commands then one
23 pass is probably good enough, but I'd still use random data instead of
24 zeros. The reason is that a clever firmware (especially on an SSD)
25 might not actually record zeros to the regular disk space, but instead
26 just mark the block range as containing zeros, leaving the actual data
27 intact. For random data the drive has to actually store the contents
28 as it cannot be represented in any more concise way.
29
30 If I'm not in a rush I prefer to just do the multiple passes. Why
31 take a chance?
32
33 And of course full-disk encryption is the solution to all of the
34 above, as it defeats any kind of attack at the level of the drive and
35 is proactive in nature.
38 Rich