From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB mass storage device slow in Gentoo, fast in Windows...? [SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 05:27:44
1 On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I got a Nokia N900 linux internet tablet/phone a few days ago, and
6 > when I connect it in USB Mass Storage mode to a Windows Vista computer
7 > I can write at 17MB/sec, but when I connect it to my Gentoo box my
8 > writes are really slow, between 500-900kb/sec depending on if I mount
9 > in "sync" mode or not. As far as I know it should be just a totally
10 > standard/generic mass storage device. (there were no drivers or
11 > software install needed in windows, it just worked)
12 >
13 > Other USB devices plugged into the same port go full speed, and AFAIK
14 > everything appears as if it should be high speed USB 2.0. Has anyone
15 > seen something like this before? I'm not sure what the deal is. It
16 > takes 20 minutes to copy 1 gigabyte from Linux and takes just under 1
17 > minute to do the same in Windows.
18 >
19 > I'm not sure about debugging USB or what the options are. Everything
20 > I've used previously has worked without any hassle.
21
22 Solved. The problem was CFQ I/O scheduler. It was several times slower
23 than the others, for whatever reason.
24
25 Here is the scoreboard:
26
27 single-file: 1m25s
28
29 multi-file (same total size):
30 cfq: 6m51.439s
31 noop: 3m0.733s
32 anticipatory: 1m44.348s
33 deadline: 1m36.804s
34
35 So, the winner is deadline. CFQ doesn't make it to the podium. :)
36
37 Thanks,
38 Paul