From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] increase the dmesg buffer
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 15:04:15
1 On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:54:52 +0300
2 Philipp Riegger wrote:
3
4 > Hi!
5 >
6 > I get lots and lots of messages in dmesg which results in me only
7 > seeing stuff from hard disk drivers and some grsec java messages in
8 > dmesg after rebooting. Is there a way to increase the buffer for
9 > this, so that i see twice as many messages, for example?
10 >
11 > Thanks,
12 > Philipp
15 Since the dmesg buffer exists in kernel space, a kernel build is
16 required to change its size. If recollection serves, the setting is
17 named CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT and the value is a power of 2. For example
18
19 CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=18
20
21 sets the buffer size to 262144 bytes.
22
23 HTH,
24
25 David