From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Piping "emerge -a" to some other command
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:04:09
1 On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 11:26:34 +0100, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2
3 > Nice idea. However, I'd like to keep things as simple as possible, be-
4 > cause an important usecase for me is installing a new or fixing an ex-
5 > isting system after booting from a USB stick. The "script" binary is in
6 > package "sys-apps/util-linux" which belongs to "@system", so it SHOULD
7 > be on my USB stick. Like "cmp" and "diff" from package "sys-apps/diff-
8 > utils" which belong to "@system" too, but which were NOT on my USB stick
9 > when I used it to install my current system about three years ago, or at
10 > least they were not in "PATH" (I then didn't frantically need these, so
11 > I didn't really search for them).
12
13 Use a different live distro, one that includes all you need - such as
14 System Rescue. I think Arve's suggestion of using screen (or tmux) is the
15 simplest effective solution. I routinely run emerge -a @world in a tmux
16 session, and scrolling back though long update lists is easy.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 I spilled Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.