From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No contacts in kaddressbook since KDE-4.4.4
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:00:44
1 On Sunday 19 September 2010 14:11:55 you wrote:
2 > I have tried changing resources in systemsettings to akonadi directory,
3 > instead of .kde4/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf, but still cannot see any
4 > contacts.
5 >
6 > When entering an address in a new message To: field, the address book seems
7 > to be used because autocompletion works.
8 >
9 > This is happening on both an amd64 (sqlite) and a x86 box (mysql).
10 >
11 > When I set it to use akonadi as a default resource then kmail freezes up
12 > within 5 minutes. I assume that this is related to akonadi trying to
13 > autosave any changes (as per the 'Tune' tab of the akonadi resource
14 > settings).
15 >
16 > Can you see your contacts in kaddressbook?
17 >
18 > Any ideas how I could fix it?
19
20 This has been a major pain in the back side - but I have at long last fixed
21 it. I don't understand why a simple migration script could not be provided by
22 the KDE devs ... or the Gentoo devs ... or anyone who knows more than I?
23
24 Anyway, these are the steps that I had to follow as plain user:
25
26 akonadictl stop
27
28 kill all nepomuk that is running. Check that both akonadi and nepomuk have
29 stopped.
30
31 Then mv or rm ~/.config/akonadi and ~/.local/share/akonadi.
32
33 Start akonadi:
34
35 akonadictl start
36
37 If like me you are using sqlite instead of mysql, it'll fail because the KDE
38 devs do not (want to) support sqlite and therefore did not add a trivial fix
39 or at least post install user advice pertinent to sqlite. Either way, stop
40 akonadi, go to the directory where the akonadi.db was created and do this:
41
42 cd ~/.local/share/akonadi/
43 sqlite3 akonadi.db "INSERT INTO ResourceTable (name,isVirtual) VALUES
44 ('akonadi_search_resource','true')"
45
46 Then I started akonadi, then system settings and from Advanced/KDE Resources I
47 selected Contacts and added a new "Akonadi Address Books" resource. I set it
48 to be used as standard and deselected the old std.vcf resource that I had in
49 there and removed it.
50
51 Clicked apply, closed everything and restarted akonadi and system settings.
52 Now, I selected the new akonadi resource and clicked edit. Then Manage Address
53 Book Sources and added:
54
55 'Personal Contacts' pointing it to (~/.local/share/contacts/)
56
57 On its own it did not work. So I restarted everything and also added:
58
59 'VCard File' from (~/.kde4/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf)
60
61 OK'd it all, and restarted for the last time.
62
63 Phew! At long last my contacts now are showing up in the kaddressbook! :-)
64
65 The only thing I noticed different from the old kresource set up is that it
66 does not seem to be using/respecting the crypto preferences for particular
67 recipients. It always asks me to use OpenPGP instead of S/MIME even when the
68 recipient only has S/MIME keys in their address crypto details. Not sure if
69 it needs a particular setting that I have not yet found.
70
71 Anyway, I hope this is of use to anyone who has been troubled on setting
72 KDE4.4 with akonadi and sqlite.
73
74 Now I'm off to try the same with the box that is running mysql. ;-)
75 --
76 Regards,
77 Mick