From: Patric Schmitz <bzk0711@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tor servers being throttled?
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:17:04
1 On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:30:46 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi All,
5 >
6 > I am trying to find out if the pedestrian download speeds that I have
7 > been getting over the last couple of months when using tor and
8 > privoxy are related to my UK ISP DSLMax throttling, or if it is
9 > something you have observed too.
10 >
11 > Tor was usually slower than direct browsing, but the last few times I
12 > have tried using I can hardly get more than say 1.5kbps.
13 >
14 > Is there a way of troubleshooting this to see where the throttling
15 > occurs?
16
17 Although having never actually used Tor myself, i would say no, and by
18 design.
19 Tor is not like some central service which one party provides that
20 could "throttle their servers", but a chain of (private) gateways which
21 forward the encrypted data to one another.
22 The idea behing the whole thing is, that every gateway only knows of
23 its direct neighbors, so noone is able to reconstruct the whole chain
24 (to achieve anonymity).
25 Threrefore, i guess, it is not possible to troubleshoot the bottleneck
26 of such a chain.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Patric