From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cyrus-sasl, courier-authlib, which one? or both?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:59:51
1 Bill Roberts wrote:
2 > I am planning on building a simpler email system (I don't use imap,
3 > virtual domains, or a user database). In my quest for Zen-like simplicity
4 > and rock-solid quality, I'm planning on using postfix, plus courier as a
5 > pop3 server. For authentication, some guides use sasl, some use authlib.
6 > Which is better?? And why would anyone use both?! They seem to both serve
7 > the same function. Any suggestions/pointer appreciated.
8
9 There are a number of different services and auth'ing going on in your
10 mail system as proposed. Courier-imap provides imap and pop. Authlib
11 provides authentication for all Courier processes. Authlib can auth from
12 local accounts, mysql, postgres, or ldap. cyrus-sasl provides smtp auth
13 for Postix in order to relay from places that aren't in your allowed IP
14 space. cyrus-sasl can use a few different backends to auth as well which
15 is where the problems come in.
16
17 Courier-imap 4.0 and up began using courier-authlib. Since you have to
18 run authlib to use courier-imap, many virtual how-to's started slaving
19 cyrus-sasl off authlib rather than have it talk to Mysql directly
20 through pam_mysql. Also with authlib you could use encrypted passwords
21 in your db whereas you could not with pam_mysql. Additionally why
22 troubleshoot two different auth mechanisms and and have yet another
23 package on your system. And finally authlib supports pam, ldap, mysql,
24 and postgres in a single place.
25 For completeness authlib updates have caused the occasional auth issue
26 though they seem to have settled down over the last six months.
27
28 In summary:
29 sasl + pam_mysql = the suck, IMO
30
31 If you don't need any virtual nonsense I'd compile postfix,
32 courier-imap, and cyrus-sasl with -mysql. I'd also compile cyrus-sasl
33 -authdaemond and just run a normal system. Everything will default to
34 local system accounts, though you might need to config
35 /etc/sasl2/smtpd.conf to do that. I do this on my personal box and
36 haven't had any issues over the past 3 1/2 years.
37
38 kashani
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list