From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 19:08:25
1 On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 09:00:02PM +0200, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 12:01:20PM -0400, Indi wrote:
3 > > Sounds like the old "6 of one, a half-dozen of the other" to me...
4 > > What makes the subtractive method better?
7 > This is how I interpret Alan's message:
8 >
9 > For certain flags when you enable it for a package you will have to
10 > also enable it for its dependencies. So you'll have to chase down the
11 > dependency tree if you enable a flag for a user package and several of
12 > the libraries it uses need the flag too, which may end up requiring
13 > doing several emerge --pretend cycles to sort out.
14 >
15 > Whereas if you subtract functionality, you usually won't have to
16 > change the libraries. (The corollary being that if you are going to
17 > remove functionality from the libraries, you should do so by globally
18 > removing the use flag, rather than on the package level.)
21 Well perhaps it's nitpicking, but I like my systems as lean as possible.
22 I almost never emerge anything without -av options, just so I can say
23 "no" and edit package.use if need be. It rarely causes more than a few
24 extra seconds to be consumed, since my needs don't change terribly often.
25 Depends on how one uses the system, I suppose...
28 caveat utilitor