From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xserver update: tilde no longer dead key
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 09:58:54
1 On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:01:03 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > A seemingly related issued was reported on e-users:
5 > >
6 > > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/enlightenment-users
7 > >
8 > > The thread is titled "Problem with Polish Keyboard layout"
9 >
10 > Thanks Alan, I had already kicked around in that thread, and
11 > initially I blamed my recent xorg update. Then I tested fluxbox
12 > which had no problem reading my xorg.conf settings, so I thought it
13 > is most likely an e17 problem. However, Carsten said: "the kbd layout
14 > (xkbswitch) module changes layout by executing the setxkbmap binary.
15 > e will output to stdout what it runs with "SET XKB RUN: ...."
16 >
17 > So, is it an xkb problem? I can change the layout if I run manually
18 > setxkbmap gb, so what is the cause of this? I don't really
19 > understand ... :-(
20
21 That stuff is murky in my world :-(
22
23 I've only ever used US keyboards so never change layouts and when I
24 read up on how it all works I get ... mighty confused
25
26 But here's my understanding of how it hangs together:
27
28 xkb* is one app that deals with this, KDE has it's own app, so does
29 fluxbox and various other WMs too. many people report that e17 doesn't
30 work properly right now but KDE and fluxbox do.
31
32 So logically speaking, setxkbmap is the app that is broken whereas the
33 layer beneath it is fine (otherwise fluxbox couldn't work properly)
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com