From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world rebuild with gcc-6.3.0 - not completely there yet
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 02:38:31
1 On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 05:22:27AM -0400, Rasmus Thomsen wrote
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > unwind tables sounds really interesting, but does it affect the
5 > binary size when I compile with -O2 anyway?
6
7 Yes, because it's a different part of the build. Personal experience;
8 I do the contributed SSE-only Pale Moon build for older (i.e Pentium 3
9 class) linux machines. To qualify for official Pale Moon branding, I
10 have to stick with standard specs. For personal use at home on a T400
11 Lenovo, I can do as I please. My home version uses unwind tables, but
12 the official version does not. The ".bz2" compressed tarball is several
13 megabytes smaller for my home version than for the official SSE-only
14 version. It's even more noticable when extracted/uncompressed.
15
16 Obviously, this reduction only applies to elf-binaries and libraries,
17 not to sqlite databases, JSON, XML, text files, etc.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications