From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strident message from mysql on emerge
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:37:28
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I'm looking at my email inbox after some of the recent activity in
3 > revdep-rebuilds (whew!) and standing out among the exhortations is
4 > this from MySQL (int part)
5 >
6 > WARN: unpack Previous datadir found, it's YOUR job to change
7 > ownership and take care of it.
10 > There's something off about this. I never have used MySQL in person,
11 > though I'm guessing it gets used by some packages. So what am I to
12 > make of a message like this? The ownership and permissions look okay
13 > to me. And I have no idea what it means to "take care of it".
14 >
15 > I don't expect myself to be clueful about all the hundreds
16 > (thousands?) of packages I have installed. I'd like them to be a bit
17 > more helpful, and perhaps careful to state what the problem actually
18 > is, or might be. Courteous wouldn't be a bad idea either.
19
20 The above only matters when you're actually running a database on the
21 local server. I'm guessing at one time you tried Mysql out and the
22 directory /var/lib/mysql is still there with db files in it. That's the
23 only reason you'd ever have that directory. Generally there isn't
24 anything you need to do when you update Mysql on the server other than
25 restart it, but if you're switching between major versions you may need
26 to change things. This is just a reminder of that.
27
28 kashani
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list