From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Gentoo-User] emerge --sync likely to kill SSD?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 14:27:56
1 On Friday 20 June 2014 19:48:14 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > microcai <microcai@×××××××××××××.org> schrieb:
3 > > rsync is doing bunch of 4k ramdon IO when updateing portage tree,
4 > > that will kill SSDs with much higher Write Amplification Factror.
5 > >
6 > > I have a 2year old SSDs that have reported Write Amplification Factor
7 > > of 26. I think the only reason is that I put portage tree on this SSD
8 > > to speed it up.
9 >
10 > Use a file system that turns random writes into sequential writes, like the
11 > pretty newcomer f2fs. You could try using it for your rootfs but currently I
12 > suggest just creating a separate partition for it and either mount it as
13 > /usr/portage or symlink that dir into this directory (that way you could
14 > use it for other purposes, too, that generate random short writes, like log
15 > files).
16
17 Well, there's a surprise! Thanks for mentioning f2fs. I've just converted my
18 Atom box's seven partitions to it, recompiled the kernel to include it,
19 changed the fstab entries and rebooted. It just worked.
20
21 --->8
22
23 > I'd also suggest not to use the discard mount options and instead create a
24 > cronjob that runs fstrim on the SSD devices. But YMMV.
25
26 I found that fstrim can't work on f2fs file systems. I don't know whether
27 discard works yet.
28
29 Thanks again.
32 Regards