From: Pupino <pupinux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange Xorg behaviour, not (always) loading nvidia module
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:18:43
1 2008/1/31, Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>:
2 > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:56:30 +0100
3 > Pupino <pupinux@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > > All you have to do in order to get the proprietery nvidia drv
6 > > > working is:
7 > > >
8 > > > 1) make sure the open src nvidia drv is not built in-kernel or as
9 > > > kernel module:
10 > > >
11 > > > ========
12 > > > Location:
13 > > > -> Device Drivers
14 > > > -> Graphics support
15 > > > -> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=n])
16 > > > -> nVidia Framebuffer Support = [N]
17 > > > ========
18 > > >
19 > > > 2) emerge nvidia-drivers
20 > > > 3) make sure /etc/X11/xorg.conf has >Driver "nvidia"<, not "nv" in
21 > > > section "Device"
22 > > > 4) eselect opengl set nvidia
23 > >
24 > > Thanks for the help Daniel, but what you say hasn't fixed my
25 > > problem... I had framebuffer support in the kernel config, but not
26 > > the nvidia fb support, I've tried to remove it at all, but still
27 > > doesn't work... the other steps you have listed have already been
28 > > done. In fact if I type /etc/init.d/xdm restart after boot the driver
29 > > is loaded correctly and all works...
30 > >
31 > > Davide
34 > No, AFAIK, only the open source "nv" frame buffer (FB) driver can't work
35 > together with the driver from Nvidia. You can have another (e.g. VESA)
36 > FB support along with the proprietary driver.
37 >
38 > Have you re-emerged "nvidia-drivers" after you recompiled the kernel?
39 > If you use binary storage for the compiled packages, remove the
40 > nvidia-drivers from there before emerging. I had such a problem:
41 > portage extracts the backup package without really rebuilding the
42 > driver (perhaps because it sees the same versions and USE flags).
43 >
44 > So, you could try:
45 >
46 > rm $PORTDIR/packages/All/nvidia*
47 > emerge nvidia-drivers
48 > eselect opengl nvidia
52 > --
53 > Best regards,
54 > Daniel
55 > --
56 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
60 Yes, i've got the vesa fb driver and not the nv one...
61 fot the binary storage, I don't use that and however I've tried to
62 recompile both xorg-server and nvidia-drivers... but without result...
63 Thanks the same however!
64
65 Davide
66 --