From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wrong time on reboot. Not a CMOS battery problem.
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:05:43
1 On 27 January 2006 17:28, Abhay Kedia wrote:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > I am facing a very annoying problem with my system clock. Here is what is
5 > happening.
6 >
7 > I manually set correct time using sites like worldtimezone.com. Then, I
8 > shutdown the system and boot after a few hours. What I see is that Gentoo
9 > sets the system time to the same one at which I halted it. For example if I
10 > shutdown 4 hours ago at 14:00 hrs and boot at 18:00 hrs, it will still set
11 > the time to 14:00 hrs instead of the correct time.
12 >
13 > The CMOS battery is fine. I can say this because if I enter the BIOS (after
14 > 4 hours reboot) it shows the correct time. I start a Live CD, it shows the
15 > correct time as well, but when I start Gentoo it sets the wrong system time
16 > or as mentioned in example: "4 hours back". It writes the time it was
17 > shutdown on, over the BIOS Clock instead of reading from it. How can I
18 > solve it? How can I force Gentoo to read from the BIOS Clock at the time of
19 > boot, instead of writing it. If it helps, here is my /etc/conf.d/clock.
20 >
21 > ---------------------------------
22 > # /etc/conf.d/clock
23 > CLOCK="local"
24 > CLOCK_OPTS=""
25 > CLOCK_SYSTOHC="no" (have tried both yes and no)
26 > SRM="no"
27 > ARC="no"
28 > ---------------------------------
29
30 Your system has two different clocks, the system clock which is software and
31 the hardware clock which is, well, hardware. After adjusting your system
32 clock with "date" try this: "hwclock -w. Does that solve the problem?
33
34 If so, you are set.
35
36 If not so, what is your timezone (in real life)? And what is the timezone in
37 your gentoo setup set to? That is, what is /etc/localtime pointing to? Do
38 they match?
39
40 Is TZ set in your environment? If so, unset it and let /etc/localtime do the
41 job.
44 > I am not using ntp or any other such softwares because I don't have an all
45 > time working Internet Connection.
46
47 Once your clocks are sorted out, you can still use ntpdate to synchronise your
48 system clock with a time server whenever you go online.
49
50 Uwe
53 Unix is sexy:
54 who | grep -i blonde | date