From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:02:28
1 On Monday 27 March 2006 19:20, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] chroot':
3 > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:55:46 -0600
4 >
5 > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 > > How much RAM do you have? <4G, you might just go with a full 32-bit
7 > > userland and only a 64-bit kernel.
8 >
9 > I have 2G. Couldn't I do 32-bit userland and 32-bit kernel?
10
11 Yes, that's an option to, although with more than ~768K of ram it's not
12 ideal.
13
14 > The
15 > reason for a 32-bit kernel is because I need to compile the Nortel VPN
16 > client and it is binary only crap and has 32-bit only binary modules.
17
18 Well, that'll force a 32-bit kernel; do none of the open-source solutions
19 for VPN-ing work? Have you tried them? I was able to get VPN-ing to a
20 Cisco router working even when I was told it just wouldn't work.
21
22 > Out of curiosity, how would I do a 32-bit userland with 64-bit kernel?
23 > Would I just change CHOST to x86_64 when I compile the kernel?
24
25 emerge crossdev
26 crossdev -s2 -t x86_64
27 make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-
30 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
31 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
32 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
33 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh