From: thegeezer@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD success - I think
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:24:44
1 > Hello list,
2 >
3 > A week ago the 2.5" drive on my Atom LAN mini-server failed, so I decided
5 > bite the bullet and replace it with an SSD. Interesting times!
6 >
7 > Today I took the box off-line and backed up the entire, newly built system
9 > external USB2 disk. The 3GB took four minutes, a third or a quarter of the
10 > previous time on the spinning disk. Good news!
11 >
12 > I find though that fstrim can't operate on /boot, which is a separate ext2
13 > file
14 > system. It reports:
15 > fstrim: /boot: FITRIM ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
16 > Is this because it's an ext2 partition, not ext4 like the rest of them?
17
18 Yes this is correct.
19 trim basically requires the FS to mark inodes as ready for deletion [1]
20 a good intro to ssd trim is here [2] though i use online trim not offline
21 on my laptopp.
24 > Man
25 > fstrim makes no mention of file-system types.
26 >
27 > Maybe I've not laid out the partitions properly. I used gparted from a
28 > recent
29 > System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org), which said it was leaving 1MB
30 > unused
31 > before /dev/sda1.
32 >
33 > While I'm here, would anyone like to suggest suitable parameters to mkfs
34 > for
35 > any of my file-systems? Here's the fstab:
36 >
37 > /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,relatime 1
38 > 2
39 > /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0
40 > 0
41 > /dev/sda5 / ext4 relatime 0
42 > 1
43
44 you might want this to read relatime,discard to handle the trim
45 automagically. if you are concerned about writes i'd suggest noatime for
46 all of these
47
48 > /dev/sda6 /var ext4 relatime 0
49 > 2
50 > /dev/sda7 /home ext4 relatime 0
51 > 2
52 > /dev/sda8 /var/cache/squid ext4 relatime 0
53 > 3
54 > /dev/sda9 /usr/portage ext4 relatime 0
55 > 3
56 > /dev/sda10 /usr/portage/packages ext4 relatime 0
57 > 4
58 > /dev/sda11 /usr/local ext4 relatime 0
59 > 2
60 > proc /proc proc defaults 0
61 > 0
62 > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0
63 > 0
64 > tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0
65 > 0
66 > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0
67 > 0
68 >
69 > I created all the ext4 file-systems with -O ^has_journal to avoid
70 > concentrated
71 > wear. Is this still a good idea nowadays? I'm happy to sacrifice the
72 > comfort of
73 > journalling since recovering this small box from backup is so quick and
74 > easy.
75 > Of course I did plenty of googling before doing anything and picked out
76 > what
77 > still seemed appropriate, but I could easily have missed something
78 > important.
81 my 2c is that if you have this little box lose power for any reason, if
82 you have a journal and have data ordered you will have a relatively
83 consistent drive. without a journal corruption is missed until you need
84 it.
85 e2fsck with journal also much faster.
86 just depends what the box is doing - if you are expecting many writes (i
87 notice squidcache there) use a journal.
88 if it is a router only, or media pc then you can worry less, and just
89 format the squidcache partition if needed.
90
91 > --
92 > Regards
93 > Peter