From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XServer hal useflag
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:32:16
1 Am 26.06.2010 20:32, schrieb Albert Hopkins:
2 > On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 20:24 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 [..]
4 >> I'm a bit confused about the meaning of the hal useflag on the
5 >> x11-base/xorg-server ebuilds nowadays. When I deactivate it, hot-plugin
6 >> a mouse does not work and special keys on the keyboard are not detected.
7 >> When I enable it, everything works but several driver packages (evdev
8 >> and mouse, probably others) want me to deactivate it.
9 >>
10 [...]
11 > So many softwares that used hal before are or have
12 > migrated to something else, such as udev. Xorg has also chosen to do
13 > this, and so the newer Xorg servers can use udev instead of hal. There
14 > is a udev flag for xorg-server. You can/should use this instead of hal.
15 [...]
16
17 Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, the first X-Server version with a
18 udev useflag hasn't been stabilized on AMD64, yet. I keyworded it and it
19 worked ... somewhat. I now have other problems but since these are
20 unrelated to hal vs. udev, I open another thread for it.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Florian Philipp