From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How does autotools/emerge/revdep-rebuild pick libraries when dependency-checking/compiling? (libpng12/14)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:13:25
1 On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm installing a 3rd party binary on my system (odesk team) from here:
3 > http://www.odesk.com/community/linux
4 >
5 > I remember last time I just picked the latest 64bit fedora version,
6 > extracted their stuff, and placed it somewhere in opt. Recently
7 > though, the app has been giving me some trouble, so I checked if there
8 > was a later version and I was 3 minor revisions behind. Whoops! The
9 > latest fc version depends on libpng12.
10
11 When dealing with binaries designed for other distros, I can think of
12 2 ways to possibly help keep things sane. First would be to write an
13 ebuild for it which enforces the required library versions (if you
14 know them) and will enable portage to prevent breakage in the future.
15 Second would be to run it in a virtual machine or a container with one
16 of the other linux distros installed in it, that way you're using
17 their preferred environment for the app and can upgrade it
18 independently of the rest of your Gentoo system.
19
20 > I'll probably try the arch version instead, but I'm curious now. If
21 > ever I should install libpng12 (slotted to 1.2), what happens on my
22 > next emerge? Configure will use a libpng version to use for compiles,
23 > but which one will it use? Will my system still be mostly on libpng14
24 > or is there a chance that some recompiles go back to libpng12? Havng
25 > spent so much energy getting it one way I'd rather not have it
26 > reversed.
27
28 I think that if the 2 versions are slotted then you should be okay,
29 new emerges should use the latest version; programs known not to work
30 with the new version should force use of the old one (if you had any
31 of those, you'd already have the old libpng because they'd already
32 require it).