From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Buying a low-cost printer for Linux
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 03:44:32
1 Does anyone have a good way of figuring out what printers that you can
2 actually buy in the retail market place actually have support in
3 Linux? I sure don't.
4
5 Over the past 10 years I've gone the route of looking at the ads,
6 finding printers in the right price range and then looking at
7 http://www.linuxprinting.org to determine if there is any support.
8 Invariably what comes up is that printer life in the retail chain is
9 so short that whatever Fry's is selling is too new so Cups doesn't
10 have support, and by the time Cups does have support the printer is no
11 longer for sale. No better shopping through NewEgg or Amazon, etc. as
12 I run into the same problem...
13
14 What's a guy to do? My folks need a new unit. (I guess!) It's not
15 working anymore as it's always been an unsupported model as far as I
16 can tell. It's a Canon MP310. I had it working a year ago with the
17 MP150 driver but it no longer works with recent Cups releases so
18 either it broke or it's truly unsupported now. I may have to go back
19 to some old Cups release but we'd like to find a unit that's really
20 supported if possible. My market is West Coast California or U.S.
21 online sales.
22
23 Anyway, how does one go about really finding a sub-$100 home ink-jet
24 type printer that has Linux support?
25
26 Thanks,
27 Mark