From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 06:45:41
1 On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:56:58 +0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:35:18 +0100, Emanuele Rusconi wrote:
4 >
5 > > > The point was that it could be changed. […]
6 > > >
7 > > > […] It's about as on-topic and relevant as WinXP.
8 > >
9 > > No, the point was that sometimes even a small annoyance is plenty
10 > > enough to drive people away.
11 >
12 > Well, if you put it like that.
13 >
14 > > The point was that when you feel that the distro you're using takes a
15 > > direction that doesn't fit you, you look for alternatives.
16 > > And that's perfectly on-topic.
17 >
18 > In which case,
19 >
20 > > What's off-topic is to figure out if the damn buttons could actually
21 > > be moved or not.
22 >
23 > so is this, as it determines the level of annoyance.
24 >
25 > Changing distros because of a default for a configuration is like
26 > changing your car because the ashtray is full.
27
28 Your analogy is not full.
29
30 Just imagine that you do not smoke at all, have an allergy
31 for the smoke and the smell of cigarettes ash. (It is easy
32 for me because it is exactly my case.)
33
34 Then, imagine that during the test drive of a new car you found
35 out that its ashtray is full of ash that smells very strong and
36 to empty it you should first completely disassemble the car,
37 disinfect all its parts, change the parts that is impossible to
38 disinfect (seats, etc.) and reassemble it again.
39
40 Moreover, asking the car maker about it, you get the answer
41 that its not a defect but a new feature that lets you enjoy
42 the smell of *his* favorite cigarettes and frees you from the
43 necessity to smoke while driving.
44
45 The latter, in my view, is more full analogy of a annoying bag
46 in the distro interface that was introduced by design and that
47 nobody want or can fix for at least half a year and, when
48 it finally gets fixed, the next distro just reproduces it anew.