From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba/Cups
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:10:34
1 On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 21:58 -0800, David Busby wrote:
2 > I've got these:
3 >
4 > imperium samba # qpkg -I -v |egrep -i 'cups|samba'
5 > net-print/cups-1.1.20-r5 *
6 > net-fs/samba-3.0.8 *
7 >
8 > packages, and the printer is shared via Samba, I can print test pages
9 > from Windows OK. Other print jobs take a real long time. Two pages
10 > takes a while, eight takes way too long (12m)! I can see traffic in the
11 > samba log that the page is being submitted, and in the cupsd log that
12 > there is data, it just takes a long time to get there. Printing from
13 > the Linux machine is fast. My samba log level is 3, but that's no too
14 > much to slow it down like this, is it?. The printer is an HP DeskJet
15 > 5550, is only slow via samba. The cupsd driver is the HP New 1.1
16 > driver. What else can I look at?
17
18 sounds like a reverse dns problem to me. if cups wants to for some
19 reason find the name of the connecting machine, and a reverse dns lookup
20 times out, then you get this sort of delay.
21
22 just a semi-educated guess, check it out :-)
26 > /djb
29 > --
30 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
33 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>