From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:10:38
1 On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:27:53 +0200
2 econti <contiemilio@×××××.it> wrote:
3
4 > Hi everybody, this is my first post on the list.
5 >
6 > Well, I'm running a 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 2006.0 on a AMD64 machine.
7 >
8 > Now I'd like to make a world upgrade. I know that I should run the
9 > following commands:
10 >
11 > emerge --sync
12 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
13 > emerge --depclean
14 > revdep-rebuild
15 >
16 > A little question: how long does it take to complete the upgrade?
17 > (sure, it depends on the installed software, but please give me an
18 > approximation)
19 >
20 It's impossible, since it doesn't only depends on the installed
21 software. It also depends on many other factors:
22
23 1.- the time when you did the last update
24 2.- the number of packages that has updates, which is not always
25 related to the number of packages you have installed, but to
26 _what_ packages do you have installed. Some packages doesn't
27 get updates too frequently, while others change a lot.
28 3.- external factors, like overlays
29
30 It just depends on _what_ needs to be updated.
31
32 I can give you a few hints, though. Most packages can compile in
33 a reasonable amount of time. Some specific packages will take
34 longer to compile. You will learn to identify them with the time.
35 For example, openoffice if probably the largest, and can take from
36 several hours up to days, depending on your hardware. Some kde
37 packages are big, like kmail. Qt or Gtk as intermediate things.
38 Glibc and gcc can take a lot of time, as xorg-server, for example.
39
40 Whe you are doing the update, you have to know a few things. On first
41 place, use this instead of your command above:
42
43 merge --update --deep --newuse --verbose --ask world
44
45 This will present you with a list of the packages that will be
46 updated, that way, you know how many packages are going to be
47 updated, but, more important, you will know _what_ packages will
48 be merged.
49
50 The depclean and revdep steps shouldn't be too time consuming
51 on a sane system. So, if you use them regularly, those steps
52 will not rob much of your time. The sync step depends on your
53 connection speed and the time since your last sync. It can take
54 a few minutes on a fast connection if your tree is up to date.
55 But it can take a day on a 56k modem if you tree is empty or
56 way too outdated.
57 --
58 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>
59 --