From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] wpa_supplicant annoyances (mask_service_inactive)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:52:41
1 So, wpa_supplicant never worked fine. It's been giving me headache
2 since day zero, but I've been -mostly- able to handle it in one or
3 another way.
4
5 Yesterday I rebooted (I rarely do), and another horror story begun.
6 Now I am getting this messages at init:
7
8 Código:
9 INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
10 * Restoring Mixer Levels ... [ ok ]
11 * Starting D-BUS system messagebus ... [ ok ]
12 * Starting metalog ... [ ok ]
13 * Starting ConsoleKit daemon ... [ ok ]
14 * Bringing up interface wlan0
15 * Starting wpa_supplicant on wlan0 ... [ ok ]
16 * mark_service_inactive: unknown applet
17 * Starting wpa_cli on wlan0 ... [ ok ]
18 * Backgrounding ... ...
19 * ERROR: net.wlan0 failed to start
20 * Starting cupsd ... [ ok ]
21 * ERROR: cannot start fail2ban as net.wlan0 would not start
22 * ERROR: cannot start netmount as net.wlan0 would not start
23 * ERROR: cannot start samba as net.wlan0 would not start
24 * Starting S.M.A.R.T. monitoring daemon ... [ ok ]
25 * Starting sshd ... [ ok ]
26 * Doing udev cleanups
27 * Starting vixie-cron ... [ ok ]
28 * Starting local [ ok ]
29
30 This is Jesus-PC.O (Linux x86_64 3.4.0) 00:34:56
31
32 Jesus-PC login:
35 For the most part, wpa_supplicant seems to start fine though. I can
36 reach the net and everything works... well... maybe 7 times out of 10.
37 Sometimes I have to kill everything related to wpa_supplicant and
38 restart the net.wlan0 service, while I cross my fingers in the hope to
39 reach the internet.
40
41 But what annoys me the most is the fact that many important services
42 do not start because they depend on net.wlan0, which spits out these
43 errors disrupting the init process.
44
45 I've been using this for some time now, and I changed the config a lot
46 of times. Always had problems. The last time I set this up I removed
47 everything from /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/conf.d/wpa_supplicant, and
48 let it did it's automatic job instead. So far, it's working... some
49 random times. The errors always show though. And they screw up the
50 init. The worst is that it bits sshd, which leaves me without remote
51 access any random day. Ugh.
52
53 So, any idea where to start looking? :D
54 --
55 Jesús Guerrero Botella