From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Need to recover corrupt disk drive...
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:49:05
1 Mike <mdiehl@××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > So, I'm looking for advise. What should I try before I just blow it all
4 > away and start over? I REALLY would like to get my system
5 > restored/fixed, though.
6 >
7 > Any ideas would be most appreciated.
8
9 I have'nt seen something like that happen before.
10
11 You said grub could not identify fs on /dev/sda1/3.
12
13 Can you post the out put or check it like this:
14
15 grub
16 <I'm assuming sda1 is /boot>
17 find (hd0,0)/kern<tab>
18
19 if you have something at /boot/kern*
20 pressing TAB like shown above will complete the name and show
21 that grub sees that partition.
22
23 You could try (hd0,2)/<something you know is there>
24
25 Like:
26 find (hd0,2)/bin/at<tab>
27
28 Should complete to attr if grub sees the partition.
29 You might get some kind of error too but check if the file name
30 completed.
33 If that stuff works, I'd try re-installing grub in the mbr of the
34 /boot partition /sda1. In grub terms thats (hd0,0)
35
36 So it would be:
37
38 grub
39 root (hd0,0)
40 setup (hd0,0)
41 <grub outputs several lines of response>
42
43 quit
44
45 Then reboot it and see what happens.