From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help with xorg-server-1.9.4 and no hal; broken mouse/keyboard/X
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 04:04:53
1 On 02/20/2011 10:03 AM, Mick wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >
4 > Have you had a look at:
5 >
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
7
8 Yes. Got some info there.
11 > Also, have a read of the InputClass section in man xorg.conf and the files in
12 > /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/.
13
14 This was helpful.
17 [snip]
18 >>
19 >> In the past I used
20 >>
21 >> Option "ButtonMapping" "3 2 1"
22 >
23 > Do you want this to work for your touchpad with the synaptics driver, or do
24 > you want this to work with any physical buttons on the laptop, or even an
25 > external (e.g. USB) mouse?
26
27 The latter.
30 > If the former, then have a look at the NOTES at the end of the man synaptics
31 > page, where it mentions button mapping.
32
33 man pages (evdev and xorg.conf) were really helpful.
36 > For non tap buttons you can try setting this option in an InputClass section
37 > in your xorg.conf for an InputClass device mouse:
38 >
39 > Section "InputClass"
40 > Identifier "mouse catchall"
41 > Driver "evdev"
42 > MatchIsPointer "on"
43 > MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
44 > Option "Protocol" "auto"
45 > Option "ButtonMapping" "3 2 1"
46 > EndSection
47
48 I tried the above for the Identifier "evdev pointer catchall" in the
49 xorg.conf file and both the usb mouse and trackpoint get their buttons
50 inverted as desired. However the touchpad buttons do not get inverted. I
51 am using xorg.conf.d/ with the synaptics file: 10-synaptics.conf
52
53 Section "InputClass"
54 Identifier "synaptics touchpad catchall"
55 Driver "synaptics"
56 Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
57 Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "true"
58 Option "VertEdgeScroll" "true"
59 Option "AutoServerLayout" "on"
60 EndSection
61
62 which apparently needs to be read before the keyboard conf: 30-keyboard.conf
63
64 Section "InputClass"
65 Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
66 MatchIsKeyboard "on"
67 MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
68 Driver "evdev"
69 Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
70 Option "AutoSeverLayout" "on"
71 EndSection
72
73 otherwise my keyboard keybindings do not work. I have also tried the
74 pointer InputClass outside the xorg.conf file, that is, inside the
75 xorg.conf.d/ directory. As long as the 10-synaptics.conf file is read
76 first, the keyboard config works so do the usb mouse and trackpoint
77 (with inverted buttons). However so far I have not been able to get the
78 touchpad buttons to be inverted.
79
80 This is a minor thing I can deal with later.
81
82 Thanks,
85 Valmor
90 >> which apparently does not work here. Last but not least, how do I get
91 >> the good old ctrl-alt-backspace keybinding to kill X?
92 >
93 > You'll need to define this in the InputClass that deals with the keyboard:
94 >
95 > Section "InputClass"
96 > Identifier "keyboard catchall"
97 > Driver "evdev"
98 > MatchIsKeyboard "on"
99 > MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
100 > Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
101 > Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
102 > EndSection
103 >
104 > HTH.