From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mouse dies after a few minutes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:12:45
1 On 13/02/2014 19:08, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I'm running a 64 bit KDE setup in a laptop. In the last few days, the
4 > mouse has become erratic and in fact dies after a bit of usage.
5 >
6 > When KDE fires up, and I'm presented with the login dialogue, the mouse
7 > will work for a few seconds, up to 30 say, then it freezes. If I get in
8 > quick and enter the username/password, the mouse pointer will change
9 > from the black login pointer to a slightly different shaped white
10 > pointer and then freeze. The login process will continue and present me
11 > with my environment, but no mouse. A Cntl-Alt-Del will bring up the Log
12 > out/shutdown/restart dialogue and I can use the keyboard to select
13 > either shutdown or restart.
14 >
15 > The thing that is "freaky" is that this happens if the laptop is
16 > running from batteries. If I have the machine plugged into the wall,
17 > this problem does not exist.
18 >
19 > Has anyone come across a problem like this? Any thoughts, greatly
20 > appreciated.
21
22 Check that you don't have usb power saving enabled for all devices when
23 on battery.
24
25 I've run into this before and it's enough to drive one nuts :-) My
26 previous laptop was especially bad - super keen to shut down the usb
27 port after 30 seconds of inactivity and very very loathe to getting
28 around to waking it up again.
29
30 Powerdevil has gone through some changes over the past period, there
31 might be a new default in place that you aren't aware of yet.
32
33 powertop is a very useful tool for info about what power saving features
34 are active.
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com