From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 06:54:48
1 On 23/07/13 08:43, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 23/07/13 00:46, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> This would be a lot less of an issue if someone just wrote a logind
4 >> ebuild (wink wink) that provides consolekit like it was originally
5 >> intended.
6 >
7 > not possible, logind since systemd >= 205 requires systemd and won't
8 > work on openrc, upstart, and such
9 > as in, the idea of using logind outside of systemd is a dead end
10 >
11 > so keeping ConsoleKit in portage for long as it works for long as we
12 > need openrc for Linux based systems
13 > and when it no longer works, the contingency plan is to ship vendor
14 > based polkit files that possibly either restore 'plugdev' group or
15 > provide similar groups to ArchLinux like 'network', 'storage', 'power'
16 > to split up the old 'plugdev'
17
18 Wouldn't it be better to switch to systemd instead?