From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a way to misconfigure USB ports in the kernel?
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 18:08:01
1 Michael,
2
3 On Friday, 2020-11-27 19:07:17 +0000, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > A 4k block size is recommended for ntfs-3g which is the default sector created
7 > by fdisk and friends on Linux these days. This will align your partition
8 > optimally. In addition, mkfs.ntfs will use 4096 bytes as the default cluster
9 > size, so you should be good in that respect.
10 >
11 > Another setting you may want to try is mounting the USB with 'big_writes' -
12 > check the man page. This should help particularly with large files, which
13 > will use larger blocks up to 128KB when copying data to the NTFS.
14
15 Both, the VeraCrypt command line (--fs-options=big_writes) and the Vera-
16 Crypt GUI (under "Settings --> Preferences") allow setting this mount
17 option. But
18
19 $ mount | grep veracrypt
20
21 never shows it, initially causing me to erroneously believe it wasn't
22 set and to try finding on the web another way of setting it. By pure
23 chance I finally found out that
24
25 $ ps -ef | grep veracrypt
26
27 lists a "/usr/sbin/mount.ntfs" task which shows the options really in
28 effect. However, I haven't yet had the time to test the effect of this
29 option when writing plenty of really big files. I will report on that
30 later.
31
32 Sincerely,
33 Rainer