From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] X11 initial configuration
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:43:21
1 Hello,
2
3 Is this the most current document/wiki we can follow to
4 perform an intial X(org) for 7.1?
5
6 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
7
8 What is the best followup document to get 3D accelleration
9 working?
12 If found this doucment that seems mostly related to
13 Modular X upgrading:
14 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Modular_Xorg
15
16 Or is the current state of affairs, just wing it
17 until it works?
18
19 The video card was advertized as an ATI radeon 9600, but
20 lspci says:
21 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS480
22 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
23
24 make.conf has these lines:
25 VIDEO_CARDS="radeon vesa"
26 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
29 I did manage to run
30
31 startX and TWM minimal fires up, without an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.....?
32
33 Running: 'Xorg -configure' and then 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new'
34 fails, but no xorg.conf file is created...... I know I can parse
35 the log files and I know I can build an org.conf file manually,
36 I'm just thinking there is some neat script somewhere that I can run to
37 generate a default(baseline) xorg.conf file?
40 Any insight as to the best(most recent)
41 docs to follow is most welcone.
44 James
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list