From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 01:05:47
1 On 06/29/2010 07:23 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:
2
3 > I have:
4 > CFLAGS="-march=k8-sse3
5
6 Hm. I've never seen that flag before. My k8 supports only sse2.
7
8 > AFAIK -fomit-frame-pointer should be perfectly safe, at the only cost of
9 > making debugging harder. I already thought about removing it anyway, so my
10 > bug reports will make more sense. BTW, does anyone know _how_ _much_ this
11 > flag is suposed to seed things up, is it even noticeable?
12
13 I've never been able to see any difference, so I don't use omit-fp. But, the
14 main cpu-intensive app I use is gcc, and I admit I've never actually measured
15 the difference.
16
17 > Uh, I just hate web clients. That's what I have a desktop environment for,
18
19 I agree completely, but the Software-As-A-Service paradigm is getting a lot
20 of attention from M$ *and* google as a more profitable alternative to selling
21 shrink-wrapped software like M$-Office. (M$ ran out of good ideas to persuade
22 people to buy new versions of Office many years ago, IMHO.)
23
24 When companies that rich and powerful push web-only services as the answer to
25 their revenue prayers, I suspect they may be able to win.
26
27 I hate web-mail, and I always use pop3 or imap when I can, but I can't force
28 my employer to offer those services if they've decided that running a web-
29 mail server is cheaper. I've tried many times, but I'm losing the battle.
30
31 If the trend continues, only port 80 will be in use in a few years. Will the
32 black hat hackers be unhappy about that? Dunno, but I'd guess not.