From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:14:16
1 On Nov 27, 2007 4:19 PM, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Dan Farrell wrote:
4 >
5 > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:18 -0600
6 > Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
10 > Just to add to this, I was using the IP address too and it was very
11 > slow. This was also on a local network. After adding the lines to my
12 > host files, it was fast no matter whether I used the name or the IP
13 > address. I still don't understand why this matters tho.
14 >
15 > Just a thought.
16 >
17 > Dale
20 > I am guessing your /etc/nsswitch.conf says:
21 > hosts: files dns
22 >
23 > in this case, the /etc/hosts file will be consulted before the dns. If
24 > you provide an IP address, it will probably want to do a reverse lookup
25 > to the name (for .ssh/known-hosts for one); if provided a domain name,
26 > it will have to look it up.
30 > You are correct. It has that exact line in the nsswitch.conf file.
31 > Someone tried to explain the "lookup" thing but it just went over my head.
32 > I know when I go to google for example that it goes to a DNS server to get
33 > the IP to know where to go to. I just never could figure why it did that
34 > when it has the number already. I just know that adding that to the host
35 > file worked like a charm.
36 >
37 > I'm still curious as to why the OP is having this problem. I suspect,
38 > like me all the time, it will be something pretty simple. We always find
39 > the complicated stuff. LOL
40 >
41 > Dale
42 >
46 The "lookup thing" is very similar to the same kind of DNS query used when
47 visiting a website.
50 - Mark Shields