From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to make a boot menu?
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:46:59
1 Hello list,
2
3 I use bootctl from sys-boot/systemd-boot to creat a boot-time menu (photo
4 attached) from which I choose what system I want to run. This has worked well,
5 but I'm not confident I'll be able to mix systemd and openrc like this for much
6 longer.
7
8 The first two lines are for the tiny rescue system I keep in /dev/nvme0n1p4. As
9 you see, I can run it either with or without the network.
10
11 The next three lines are for the most recent currently installed kernel of the
12 main Plasma system, with one of three run levels at my choice. The next three
13 are the same for the most recent previous system, known to work. These are on
14 /dev/nvme0n1p5.
15
16 (Windows is no longer installed on this box; that entry is a leftover which
17 I'd better remove.) The final entry does what it says: it goes back into the
18 UEFI setup menu.
19
20 My question is how to do this in Grub. Three kernels are involved, with either
21 two or three run levels each. I tried to do this manually some years ago, but
22 failed and had to resort to bootctl. Oh, and before I'm told to RTFM, of
23 course I have done that but last time I looked I found nothing helpful. That's
24 why I hope the collected wisdom here can help.
27 Regards,
28 Peter.

PXL_20220417_132843926.MP.jpg image/jpeg