From: Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] /dev/shm and firefox question
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:40:39
1 Hello all,
2 I recently installed qemu; when I launch it I get this message:
3
4 "You do not have enough space in '/dev/shm' for the 450 MB of QEMU virtual RAM.
5 To have more space available provided you have enough RAM and swap, do as root:
6 umount /dev/shm
7 mount -t tmpfs -o size=466m none /dev/shm"
8
9 OK, it works; so in order to avoid doing this every time i added
10 "size=466m" to the options column of fstab. It seems to work allright but
11 for the fact that then firefox does not work anymore: I can launch it, but
12 then it freezes.
13
14 And then if I issue by hand these commands, firefox is as usual again!
15 What am I doing wrong?
16
17 Here's my fstab's tmpfs line:
18 .................................
19 # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
20 # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
21 # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
22 # use almost no memory if not populated with files)
23 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec,size=466m 0 0
25
26 tia,
27 --
28 Jean Magnan de Bornier | Cours Victor Hugo
29 e-mots: jean at bornier.net | 13980 Alleins France
30 T 08 70 39 34 03 | P 06 09 17 35 87
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list