From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Assigning an IP in AP mode
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 04:31:01
1 On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Does anyone know how to assign an IP address to a wireless interface
3 > in AP mode?  It can't be specified in /etc/conf.d/net because
4 > /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 is not executed since hostapd handles the whole
5 > thing.  'ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.1' works but I know I've done it
6 > before without issuing that command each time I reboot, I just can't
7 > remember how.
8
9 In /etc/conf.d/net as usual, just disable iwconfig and wpa_supplicant
10 in modules_wlan0
11
12 > BTW, can I assign IP addresses on the same subnet to the 2 wireless
13 > interfaces in my system if one of them connects to the WAN and the
14 > other to the LAN?
15
16 You probably don't want to do that. It will give you two connected
17 routes for the subnet, and only the one with the better metric will be
18 used, so you wont be able to communicate with hosts on the other
19 interface. You could probably setup bridging, but IMO it would almost
20 certainly be better to just use different subnets.
21
22 I could be wrong though - try it and see what happens.