From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gcc compiling, is this normal?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:05:35
1 On Mon, May 13, 2013 13:43, Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> I try to keep the USE-flags out of make.conf as much as possible.
4 >> Some packages have "multislot" where I don't necessarily want it
5 >> enabled.
6 >
7 > It turned into a USE flag nightmare so I used package.use. Sometimes it
8 > just don't work out since a few packages gets into a world class
9 > wrestling match. I usually try but don't sweat it.
10
11 My make.conf USE-variable is really small, it's all in package.use/... :)
12
13 >> Well, after waiting for it to finish, I get this now:
14 >>
15 >> root@fireball / # genlop -c
16 >>
17 >> Currently merging 4 out of 4
18 >>
19 >> * sys-devel/gcc-4.4.7
20 >>
21 >> current merge time: 6 minutes and 57 seconds.
22 >> ETA: 17 minutes and 2 seconds.
23 >>
24 >> Currently merging 4 out of 4
25 >>
26 >> * sys-devel/gcc-4.4.7
27 >>
28 >> current merge time: 6 minutes and 58 seconds.
29 >> ETA: 17 minutes and 1 second.
30 >> root@fireball / #
31 >>
32 >> So there it is compiling the same package version twice, again. Going
33 >> to kill it since it will sit there and compile for hours if I don't. I
34 >> also found out I am not the only one having issues doing a ctrl c to
35 >> stop emerge too. They need some Raid on that problem.
36 >>
37 >> Open to new ideas.
38 >> Just a quick question, are you certain it is doing both simultaneously?
39 >> It could also be a bug in genlop?
40 >>
41 >> I always generate the binary packages, which means I don't actually need
42 >> to keep older GCC-versions. I can always unpack the package using "tar"
43 >> :)
44 >>
45 >> --
46 >> Joost
51 > I have it set to save a tarball here but I'd have to look up how to
52 > rescue myself if I did screw up.
53
54 To rescue yourself using a binpackage:
55 # cd /
56 # tar -xvjpf <...path-to-binpackage-including-package...>
57
58 After that, I would suggest a "emerge -vek world" :)
59
60 > To answer your question, I decided to
61 > just let the stupid thing sit there and compile. After a while, I got
62 > this:
63 >
64 > root@fireball / # genlop -c
65 >
66 > Currently merging 4 out of 4
67 >
68 > * sys-devel/gcc-4.4.7
69 >
70 > current merge time: 25 minutes and 17 seconds.
71 > ETA: any time now.
72 > root@fireball / #
73 >
74 > So, one of the compiles finished. That is a improvement at least. I
75 > just checked again and it is finished with them all and I got this for
76 > the end of emerge:
77 >
78 > Total: 4 packages (1 upgrade, 3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 24 kB
79 >
80 > Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
81
82 <SNIPPED>
83
84 > I'm going to say this tho, it did not have time to compile the last gcc
85 > even tho I'm sure it did. Your mention of a genlop error may be right.
86 > I bet genlop is reporting the wrong version on one of them somehow.
87
88 I wonder if "genlop" is noticing there are 2 GCC-compiles running, but
89 picks the most current version for both, rather then the correct version
90 for each emerge?
91
92 > To add this in case I didn't mention it. One time before, gcc compiled
93 > for like 5 or 6 hours while I took a nap. I can compile LOo several
94 > times in that time frame. Gcc never takes more than 30 minutes or so,
95 > usually around 20 or so.
96
97 That depends on the USE-flags, I think.
98 GCC on my old system always took a while, new systems (with also new
99 versions) seem to be a lot faster.
100 Thing is, I tend to build packages for all the machines in a single VM and
101 then install those when I have a current set.
102 That VM tends to be started and then I just leave it till I come back from
103 work the next day.
104
105 > I have a 4 core CPU running at I think 3.2Ghz
106 > and 16Gbs of ram with portages work directory on tmpfs.
107 >
108 > This is weird. May look into a genlop change, up to a unstable one or
109 > back to a older version. See if that helps. Got to figure out how to
110 > force a upgrade tho. ;-)
111 >
112 > Thanks. At least I seem to have a clean upgrade now.
113
114 You might already had :)
117 Joost