From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sync'ing and compiling pkgs for multiple PCs
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:10:30
1 > Yes, your words about "dependency" and "flexibility" are valid, but this
2 > is also the most straightforward way to sync multiple machines at once.
3 > If you do need to emerge a package when the laptop is away from home
4 > then just --sync and it builds a portage tree at the "missing
5 > mountpoint" (if that makes sense).
6
7 I'll consider that, but seriously, I've tried many ways, including rsyncd, to
8 sync portage on my computers and I've settled for unison. Really, I like it for
9 its simplicity of use and maintenance and the fact that my host only has the ssh
10 port open. Sync'ing portage is not a problem, i'll explore different ways along
11 the way. Dont try to convince me of other ways, this one is working (and I
12 don't mind whatever downsides).
13
14 > Great! I'm glad you're happy with this. You're NFS exporting a
15 > sub-directory of /usr/portage, then, in order to share the built packages?
16
17 As said, no. I'm using a separate copy on each host, which is sync'ed manually
18 between those hosts. It may sound awful, but it actually syncs my /home
19 directory, as well as my /root dir (where I keep important system stuff, like
20 dev drivers source). The sync'ing is not very long and once done, each computer
21 is completely independant and contains all my stuff i need. Which creates
22 redundancy.
23
24 I had tried NFS before, and failed, but I was not very interested and the first
25 few obstacles made me drop it. It was before I tried gentoo and started my own
26 personal 'renaissance' and learned so much. I'll try it again soon, but it's
27 not my priority for now.
28
29 > I assume compilation errors. My usage is that I can turn distcc off for
30 > the duration of the compile when I see something like this, and not
31 > bother investigating it further, but I think the most likely cause is
32 > that a library is needed for compilation that is not present on the
33 > distcc server. Portage accepts the compile-time dependency because it is
34 > filled on the distcc client, the machine on which you've run emerge, but
35 > when that particular bit is sent off to the distcc server then that
36 > machine doesn't have the lib needed.
37
38 Well, this is the whole problem. You were right about the compilation error.
39 And if it *may* happen, then a full emerge -e will take days (considering system
40 has 143 pkgs and world has 499 pkgs to build). Turning it off, emerge the
41 package, turn it on, resume emerge once in a while is really against my idea of
42 automatism! I might make a script that checks for binpkgs after emerge returns,
43 and if no pkg was created, then disable distcc for that one, re-enable
44 automatically... maybe prepare a report to send to the ebuild maintainer, to
45 let him know of the issue and all relevant details.
46
47 > I would imagine that, assuming the above belief is correct, then the
48 > workaround would be to `emerge -o` the package on the other machines on
49 > your LAN (or the fastest machine, if you are using only that to emerge)
50 > before distcc'ing it. This is slightly inelegant.
51
52 Clearly less and less transparent... i'd say cloudy. Seriously at this point,
53 i'd just drop distcc completely. But I don't think I'll have to go that far.
54
55 > If you mostly have the same packages on all machines then hopefully you
56 > shouldn't encounter this scenario too often, although I'd also think
57 > that different USE flags could affect it.
58 >
59 > I'm also somewhat suspicious of different architectures - you wouldn't
60 > try compiling for ARM or MIPS on an x86 PC, but I'm not sure how
61 > compiling on an Athlon for a Pentium 3 or 4 affects things. Finally you
62 > should make sure all machines are using the same versions of gcc and
63 > glibc (also binutils? what else?).
64
65 Same everything on every machine, i'll double check glibc and binutils too.
66
67 Thanks Stroller, I'm really starting to see how I can manage my mini IT lab now!
68 Simon