From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fresh gen too install - unsuccesful
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:57:49
1 On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 25 Dec 2014 09:20:15 Tom H wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 12:36 PM, German <gentgerman@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:17:19 -0500
5 >>> Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> I just tried to boot my Asus MoBo A88XM-PLUS, after I disabled CMS and
9 >>>>> switched Secure Boot to other OS (as opposed to MS Windows), with
10 >>>>> sysrescuecd-4.4.1.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> Unfortunately I can't get a console due to this error:
13 >>>>> error: no suitable mode found.
14 >>>>> Booting in blind mode
15 >>>>
16 >>>> How about booting without Secure Boot?
17 >>>
18 >>> I am booting without secure boot and get the same error
19 >>
20 >> I'm sorry. I saw "secure boot" and assumed that you were trying to
21 >> boot from an unsigned kernel.
22 >>
23 >> Your error message above looks like a grub error. Does your grub.cfg
24 >> load two efi_<something> video modules?
25 >
26 > There is no grub on the PC, and the sysrescue LiveCD uses isolinux from what I
27 > recall. For some reason when booting in EFI mode, sysrescueCD can't find a
28 > suitable mode for my LCD monitor.
29
30 I was answering gentgerman@×××××.com and I thought that he/she was
31 booting from an HD.
32
33 I've installed Linux a dozen times on efi laptops (Gentoo once). I've
34 used live CDs on all of these laptops and I've used grub and
35 efibootmgr for all the installs - and gummiboot for some - and I've
36 only hit this error once, on an install, because I was messing around
37 with grub.cfg and didn't load efi_gop.mod and efi_uga.mod. I don't
38 know how the other boot loaders/managers handle video but AFAIK none
39 of them have modules so it must be built-in.