From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Keeping 17-year-old Kylix software alive
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 07:49:36
1 Hi,
2
3 many years ago, I created some libSomething.so with Kylix 3 (1)
4 which still worked with current (32bit) Gentoo systems (Kernel
5 4.14.83).
6
7 Using "revdep-rebuild.sh" (the *old* script!), for some time,
8 I already got messages like
9
10 broken /usr/local/lib/libxercesxmldom.so.1
11 /usr/local/lib/libxercesxmldom.so.1 (symbol __pthread_atfork version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libpthread.so.0 with link time reference
12 symbol __pthread_initialize version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libpthread.so.0 with link time reference)
13
14 but everything worked fine anyway ("libxercesxmldom" is part of
15 Borland's standard runtime libraries).
16
17 However, after upgrading glibc from 2.27 to 2.28 (or newer), this
18 is not true any more: Compiling and running a C program using the
19 old Kylix libSomething.so libraries causes Segmentation fault, and
20 Apache using a PHP extension which calls those libraries won't start
21 at all any more.
22
23 For recompiling the Kylix libSomething.so libraries, I'm keeping
24 alive a Suse 8.1 Linux (2) in VirtualBox (Kernel 2.4.19).
25
26 Do you see any chance to keep those Kylix libraries alive and
27 running? If it would help, I'd try to install the old Kylix on
28 a current Gentoo system and try to recompile there (although
29 I guess Kylix won't run on a current Kernel any more - if it
30 can be installed at all).
31
32 Switching to another (Pascal-/Delphi-/Lazarus-/etc.) Compiler
33 is not an option because the .so libraries are in fact "packages"
34 (BPL, a special Borland library version).
35
36 Is there any possibility for some "binary interface/gateway" to
37 use those libraries any more, or do I have to reprogram the
38 whole functionality with PHP?
39
40 -Matt
41