From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] High-pitched sound from inside the PC when opening menus
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:06:52
1 On Wednesday 31 December 2008 17:36:39 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > I can't remember the exact reasoning, but I do recall being told "it's
3 > normal" and that it varies from one system to another, even with the
4 > same hardware. I think it's related to capacitors or voltage regulator
5 > or something like that. (I am not an electrical engineer)
6
7 If it's consistent with high load, it's most likely inductors windowing
8 vibrating inside their casing. i.e. loosely wound transformers. The biggest
9 one is in the power supply, which is easy enough to swap out and check.
10
11 The irritating part is that it's extremely hard to detect where the sound
12 comes from - you can't just turn your head to get the direction as human ears
13 aren't too good at those frequencies
14
15 > When trying KDE4 with all the desktop effects, it was really annoying,
16 > everything I did would cause the hissing noise, presumably because
17 > it's using more CPU load to do basic things.
18 >
19 > So, in other words, "it's normal". :)
20
21 Harmless, yes. Annoying, yes. Normal, should not be :-)
22
23 This happens when vendors use cut-rate components, or the Chinese factory they
24 outsourced the production to uses crappy parts.
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com