From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm in a Pickle
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:08:49
1 On 12/26/11 14:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On 12/25/2011 02:51 PM, CJoeB wrote:
3 >> On 12/25/11 14:20, Michael Hampicke wrote:
4 >>>> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
5 >>>> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
6 >>>> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
7 >>>> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
8 >>>> the mouse work.
9 >>> Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
10 >>> ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
11 >>>
12 >>> # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
13 >> It's a little hard to do that since, I boot to a login screen and
14 >> neither my keyboard nor mouse work - despite the fact that the cursor
15 >> places itself in the password field on the login screen, I can't enter
16 >> my password since the keyboard doesn't work. :-)
17 > If it happens again, in GRUB edit the kernel commandline and append
18 > "gentoo=nox" to it and that will prevent Gentoo from starting your
19 > graphical login manager. Or, better yet, create a second menu entry in
20 > grub for "no X" right now, so it'll be there if you need it in the future.
21 Thanks. This info was already provided to me. I made a note of it in
22 the place where I keep my "Gentoo tips" so, I'll have this available to
23 me if I need it again! :-)
24
25 Regards,
26