From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my laptop getting old, or are some packages more and more demanding?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 08:13:40
1 On Saturday 14 Jun 2014 23:57:43 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 15/06/2014 00:20, Mick wrote:
3 > > I looked at how long some packages are taking these days. I noticed that
4 > > firefox and chromium take a lot longer to emerge than was the case 3-4
5 > > years ago. For example:
6 [snip ...]
7
8 > Your firefox example is very skewed - in the 3.x days firefox was really
9 > just a front end thingie and the bulk of the code was in backend
10 > packages (eg xulrunner).
11
12 Ahh! Yes, well spotted. I had forgotten about xulrunner, which was growing at
13 an alarming rate as I recall.
16 > Chromium is a good example, that one has grown *enormously*
17 >
18 > And maybe your disks are tired too :-) . You do have hdparm results from
19 > 4 years ago to compare?
20
21 I have not install hdparm on this laptop, thinking that I do not really need
22 it for anything. Anyway, do disks spin slower with age? Even if their
23 bearings theoretically wear out and eventually slow down, would this be
24 perceptible?
25
26 What readings would I be comparing? hdparm -t and -T?
29 Regards,
30 Mick