From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} mythtv opinions
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:24:10
1 > > I'm thinking of setting up one of my new-to-me P3-500 desktops as a
2 > > mythtv system. Has anyone tried it? Any drawbacks? Are there
3 > > superior alternatives?
7 > Hi Grant,
8 >
9 > I run it here as the media server for the family.
10 >
11 > It compiled easily, setup was a bit cumbersome with mysql however. Once ypou
12 > get myth and mysql talking together, it's quite reliable. Early on, in the
13 > begining, the mythbackend startup script proved to NOT function at all.
14 > Someone one on the mythtv mailing list gave me a script to try and it
15 > worked.... only to become useless after a few version bumps of mythtv. I gave
16 > up on the startup script and just start mythbackend
17 > in /etc/conf.d/local.start. It works/runs on each boot or restart now.
18 >
19 > I don't have a media streamer as each of my family watch what they want from
20 > their desktops/laptops. I'll get around to having a streamer for the main 57"
21 > projection tv some day, but it's not a priority just yet.
22 >
23 > Do youself a favor... if you're going to have more than one user, plan ahead
24 > on buying more than one capture card... I have two pvr-150's and am planning
25 > on buying a third one soon... :')
28 > Cheers, Jerry.
29
30 Hi Jerry,
31
32 Did you try running it without the mysql USE flag? Do you have a
33 remote control working? Is that pvr-150 a hardware decoder/encoder?
34 I need to find a cheap one of those for my P3-550.
35
36 - Grant
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list