From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wayland side-effect?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 19:21:43
1 On Monday, 28 December 2020 00:10:54 GMT Michael wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 27 December 2020 21:01:09 GMT antlists wrote:
3 > > On 27/12/2020 18:51, Michael wrote:
4 > > > Restarting the desktop using Xorg does NOT fix this problem. Otherwise,
5 > > > both Plasma on Wayland and Xorg work fine - except the clipboard does
6 > > > not
7 > > > work on Wayland (middle click won't paste selected text on another
8 > > > window).
9 > >
10 > > This sounds to me like a side-effect of Wayland security. I don't really
11 > > know anything about it, but I get the impression that talking between
12 > > windows is an unsolved security problem.
13 > >
14 > > Of course, it could be it's a solved problem, but you've hit a glitch...
15 > >
16 > > Cheers,
17 > > Wol
18 >
19 > Yes, the clipboard issue is due to the isolation between application windows
20 > for security reasons. It should also stop keyloggers having a go at my
21 > typing. Annoying nonetheless, I hadn't realised how much I use the middle-
22 > click clipboard feature! Selecting text with the mouse, then using right-
23 > click Copy (or Ctrl+c) and right-click Paste (Ctrl+v) works, as a long
24 > winded alternative.
25 >
26 > I wonder if the message preview pane problem in Kmail is also caused by the
27 > same wayland window isolation? Hmm ...
28
29 The workaround for the black message preview pane is to resize the root Kmail
30 window. When redrawn the message preview pane shows its contents. Resizing
31 has to take place in a single operation and left alone for a few seconds. If
32 multiple resizing actions take place then invariably Kmail becomes
33 unresponsive and crashes. QtWayland complains about something or other not
34 implemented, so I assume some coding in Kmail needs to be polished to make it
35 work more smoothly in Wayland.