From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 - my experience so far...
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:16:56
1 On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 04:57:39AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > ...is not so good actually. Certainly not the way I'd want others to
3 > experience Gentoo.
4 >
5 > OK, the ~amd64 upgrade to @system was easy and relatively painless.
6 > The documents were fairly clear. There are things to learn, and old
7 > friends like rc-update and df look different, but it worked and didn't
8 > take long - less than an hour to reboot including editing - so that's
9 > good.
10 >
11 > Unfortunately, simply allowing all environments & apps on the system
12 > to go ~amd64 isn't working out as nicely.
13 >
14 > 1) xfce4 had one build failure. I masked it and the build finished.
15 > xfce starts and seems to mostly work, but I get no wallpaper and the
16 > right click for a menu on the desktop doesn't work. It's usable, but
17 > clearly 'not stable'.
20 Are there any bugs on this? Perhaps it's a configurations thing :-)
21
22 > 2) gnome-2.28 simply doesn't build.
25 Attatch the log? I doubt I can help you, but I'm pretty sure someone else on the list will be able to :-)
26
27 > 3) I'm currently left with lots of things in emerge @preserved-rebuild
28 > that don't build. emerge -DuN @world is not clean.
31 it isn't? The way I see it, it's every bit as clean as emerge -DuN world, the difference is that now there's a set to take care of what revdep-rebuild did. I could be mistaken then ;)
32
33 > QUESTION: Assume I'm happy with ~amd64 on @system, but want to build
34 > the stable version of gnome or kde. How do I get it? Since gnome-2.26
35 > worked yesterday I tried masking >=gnome-2.28. emerge -DuN gnome.
36 > Portage then didn't try to emerge the meta-package but doesn't take
37 > all of gnome back to 2.26. There's no point trying kde as gnome pulled
38 > in kde components that doesn't build either. Hopefully it's not 'mask
39 > every package in gnome by hand'.
42 The way to hold packages back would be adding foo/bar -~arch to your package.keywords file. That way portage will only look at the stable packages. It's tedious to do it by hand (and I don't know any automated process), but if most of your system will be running ~arch then I'd suggest that you stay ~arch, and vice versa if most of the system is running arch.
43
44 > At this point I'm left with a system that's not clean and to me not
45 > terribly useful. Yesterday as stable I built xfce, gnome and kde in
46 > under 4 hours and all 3 worked. Today both gnome and xfce aren't right
47 > and I don't have kde. Probably this is some matter of learning to hold
48 > back portage that I've never done before, rather than unleashing new
49 > packages like you do on a stable system.
50 >
51 > How does one accomplish this?
52 >
53 > Thanks,