From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bash failed to compile
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 07:13:10
1 On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 04:14:24AM +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > may be bash is missing a lib?
5 >
6 > /usr/lib64/libtinfo.so.5: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
7
8 Nope, this is a well known class of build system bugs, we have a tracker
9 for it in our bugzilla (#457530). Search for a bash bug report, or open a new
10 one and link it to the tracker.
11
12 Briefly: libncurses can be split with some symbols (functions) landing
13 in libncurses and others in libtinfo. This is controlled by the tinfo USE
14 flag to sys-libs/ncurses. I don't know whose idea this was but I know
15 that, among others, CUDA requires this split.
16
17 But I'm actually starting to think that this fight is not worth fighting
18 and we should just go back to a single library. The split just adds
19 unnecessary complexity. Perhaps emerging sys-libs/ncurses[-tinfo] and
20 symlinking libncurses.so to libtinfo.so would be the best solution for
21 all.