From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 22:22:50
1 On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 02:01:13 -0600
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 To the OP of this OT sub-thread. The main difference for me is OpenRC
5 removes some of the symlink mess and uncertainty compared to for
6 example debians init. I very much like OpenRC but my fav is still
7 OpenBSD that tries to minimise the number of files/folders to be
8 potentially locked down and is very transparent and quick to follow
9 through.
10
11 > On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 1:38 AM, G.Wolfe Woodbury
12 > <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote: [ snip ]
13 > > From what has been happening with the systemd stuff, I do not see
14 > > what advantages it really offers over the SysV scheme and its
15 > > successors like OpenRC. Someone enlighten me please?
16 >
17 > I wrote the following some months ago; I think nothing much has
18 > changed since then (I added a couple of comments):
19 >
20 > Take this with a grain (or a kilo) of salt, since I'm obviously
21 > biased, but IMHO this are systemd advantages over OpenRC:
22 >
23 > * Really fast boot. OpenRC takes at least double the time that systemd
24 > does when booting, easily verifiable. In my laptop systemd is twice as
25 > fast as OpenRC; in my desktop is three times faster. (With a solid
26 > state hard drive, my laptop now boots even faster).
29 The usual statistic cited is 2 seconds but systemd can increase the
30 time dramatically or be a complete no go on embedded systems with
31 limited cpu and/or ram. Percentages of a section of the bootup is just
32 playing games like often used by annoying marketing departments. You
33 will save more boot time by switching to xfce from KDE/Gnome with
34 stronger arguments for doing so.
35
36 > * Really parallel service startup: OpenRC has never been reliable on
37 > parallel service startup; its documentation says it explicitly. Some
38 > will tell you that for them "it works", but just like the guys who
39 > have a separate /usr and refuse to use an initramfs, they just haven't
40 > been bitten by the inherent problems of it (just ask kernel developer
41 > Greg Kroah-Hartman). The Gentoo devs recognize that OpenRC is just
42 > broken with parallel service startup.
45 Not only that but is seen by many to be pointless except to minute
46 speed gains and a cause of various problems such as increased
47 difficulty in determining where a problem occurs.
48
49 > * Really simple service unit files: The service unit files are really
50 > small, really simple, really easy to understand/modify. Compare the 9
51 > lines of sshd.service:
54 But require reading documentation to understand with no other external
55 gain, unlike shell.
58 > * Really good documentation: systemd has one of the best
59 > documentations I have ever seen in *any* project. Everything (except
60 > really new, experimental features) is documented, with manual pages
61 > explaining everything. And besides, there are blog posts by Lennart
62 > explaining in a more informal way how to do neat tricks with systemd.
65 That explains why I see so many asking for help. The documentation may?
66 be complete but is terrible. Like LVM it is spread out into many
67 illogical files that would require a non existent sitemap to find.
68 OpenBSD is renowned for it's excellent documentation and note that it's
69 openssl pages are consolidated.
70
71 > * Really good in-site customization: The service unit files are
72 > trivially overrided with custom ones for specific installations,
73 > without needing to touch the ones installed by systemd or a program.
74 > With OpenRC, if I modify a /etc/init.d file, chances are I need to
75 > check out my next installation so I can see how the new file differs
76 > from the old one, and adapt the changes to my customized version.
79 Nothing new, OpenBSD does similar. Completely aside from this
80 discussion.
81
82 > * All the goodies from Control Groups: You can use kernel cgroups to
83 > monitor/control several properties of your daemons, out of the box,
84 > almost no admin effort involved.
87 The OpenBSD list pointed out the double forking argument to be
88 technically pointless.
89
90 http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=135314269712851&w=2
91
92 > * It tries to unify Linux behaviour among distros (some can argue that
93 > this is a bad thing): Using systemd, the same
94 > configurations/techniques work the same in every distribution. No more
95 > need to learn /etc/conf.d, /etc/sysconfig, /etc/default hacks by
96 > different distros.
99 So why was /etc/inittab removed for something that takes much more
100 effort to configure.
101
102 > * Finally, and what I think is the most fundamental difference between
103 > systemd and almost any other init system: The service unit files in
104 > systemd are *declarative*; you tell the daemon *what* to do, not *how*
105 > to do it. If the service files are shell scripts (like in
106 > OpenRC/SysV), everything can spiral out of control really easily. And
107 > it usually does (again, look at sshd; and that one is actully nicely
108 > written, there are all kind of monsters out there abusing the power
109 > that shell gives you).
112 Then you don't have a great deal of experience in init systems.
113
114 > These are the ones off the top of my head; but what I like the most
115 > about systemd is that it just works, and that it makes a lot of sense
116 > (at least to me).
117 >
118 > Most of systemd features can be implemented in OpenRC, although the
119 > speed difference will never be eliminated if OpenRC keeps using shell
120 > files; however, Luca Barbato said that using reentrant busybox the
121 > speed difference is greatly reduced (I haven't confirmed this, since I
122 > haven't even installed OpenRC in months).
125 So basically you like systemd because it does not follow the unix
126 philosohy of many small independent tools to be more than the sum of
127 it's parts and systemd absolutely unarguably does complicate the code
128 **REQUIRED** to boot using many external and other questionably desired
129 features as justification.
130
131 > Now, this set of (IMO) advantages of systemd over OpenRC pile up over
132 > the advantages of OpenRC over SysV: the most important one (I believe)
133 > is that OpenRC has dependencies, so a service starts only when another
134 > has already started. AFAIK, SysV has lacked this since always.
135 >
136 > I don't think I have ever heard anyone saying that we should keep
137 > using SysV; like a lot of Unix legacies, it should just die. OpenRC is
138 > much better, but it still uses a Turing-complete language (and a
139 > really slow one) to simply tell services when to start and when to
140 > stop, and it doesn't reliably keep track of what services are really
141 > still running (anyone who has ever used the "zap" command in OpenRC
142 > knows this).
143 >
144 > systemd of course has dependencies, a reliable tracking of service
145 > status (thanks in part to the use of cgroups), and its service files
146 > can't enter in an infinite loop.
147 >
148 > Hope it helps.
149 >
150 > Regards.
151
152 Enough time has been wasted on systemd including my own so start a new
153 thread that I can ignore from now on please or better still accept
154 that systemd is dividing and not unifying the unix community. Once you
155 realise that re-question everything else.